The 2014 Prix Aurora Award Ballot nominee list was released yesterday, and Five Rivers is pleased to have two of our publications short-listed, as well as two of our team nominated for work in other categories.
Susan MacGregor’s The Tattooed Witch has been short-listed in the Best English Novel category.
D.G. Laderoute’s Out of Time has been short-listed in the Best English Young Adult Novel category.
Susan Forest’s The Gift has been short-listed in the Best English Short Fiction category. Five Rivers published a collection of Forest’s short fiction, Immunity to Strange Tales in 2012.
Susan MacGregor’s blog, Suzenyms, is short-listed for Best English Related Work.
Robert Runte’s address, Why I Read Canadian Speculative Fiction: The Social Dimension of Reading, which was the Scholar Keynote Address at ACCSFF ’13, Toronto, is short-listed for Best Fan Related Work.
Well done all of you! We’re just tickled silly.
Voting will open to members of CSFFA in a few days on their website. There will also be digital review copies provided by participating publishers for voting membership.
The complete list of Aurora nominees follows:
2014 Aurora Award Ballot
We are proud to announce the 2014 Aurora award ballot for work done in 2013 by Canadians. Voting for the awards will begin for members of CSFFA* (Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Association) on May 3rd and will close at Midnight (end of day) EDT on Saturday, September 6th, 2014. For full details join us at www.prixaurorawards.ca. The awards will be presented at VCON (www.vcon.ca) in Vancouver, Oct 3 – 5, 2014.
Best English Novel
- Red Planet Blues by Robert J. Sawyer, Penguin Canada
- River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay, Viking Canada
- The Tattooed Witch by Susan MacGregor, Five Rivers
- Tombstone Blues by Chadwick Ginther, Ravenstone Books
- A Turn of Light by Julie E. Czerneda, DAW Books
Best English YA (Young Adult) Novel
- The Ehrich Weisz Chronicles: Demon Gate by Marty Chan, Fitzhenry & Whiteside
- Ink by Amanda Sun, Harlequin Teen
- The Lake and the Library by S.M. Beiko, ECW Press
- Out of Time by D.G. Ladroute, Five Rivers
- Resolve by Neil Godbout, Bundoran Press
- The Rising by Kelley Armstrong, Doubleday Canada
Best English Short Fiction
- “A Bunny Hug for Karl” by Mike Rimar, Masked Mosaic, Canadian Super Stories, Tyche Books
- “Angela and Her Three Wishes” by Eileen Bell, The Puzzle Box, EDGE
- “The Awakening of Master March” by Randy McCharles, The Puzzle Box, EDGE
- “Ghost in the Machine” by Ryan McFadden, The Puzzle Box, EDGE
- “The Gift” by Susan Forest, Urban Green Man, EDGE
- “Green Man She Restless” by Billie Milholland, Urban Green Man, EDGE
- “Living Bargains” by Suzanne Church, When the Hero Comes Home 2, Dragon Moon Press
Best English Poem/Song
- “A City of Buried Rivers” by Clink, David, The Literary Review of Canada, vol. 21, no. 9, November
- “Awake” by Peter Storey, Urban Green Man, EDGE
- “The Collected Postcards of Billy the Kid” by Helen Marshall, Postscripts to Darkness, Issue 4, October
- “Lost” by Amal El-Mohtar, Strange Horizons, February
- “Night Journey: West Coast” by Kernaghan, Eileen, Tesseracts Seventeen: Speculating Canada from Coast to Coast to Coast, EDGE
- “Turning the Leaves” by Amal El-Mohtar, Apex Magazine, Issue 55, December
Best English Graphic Novel
- Looking for Group by Ryan Sohmer and Lar DeSouza, webcomic
- Rock, Paper, Cynic by Peter Chiykowski, webcomic
- Weregeek by Alina Pete, webcomic
- Wild Game: Sweet Tooth Vol. 6 by Jeff Lemire, Vertigo
Best English Related Work
- The Puzzle Box by The Apocalyptic Four, EDGE
- Urban Green Man edited by Adria Laycraft and Janice Blaine EDGE
- On Spec published by the Copper Pig Writers’ Society
- Suzenyms by Susan MacGregor, blog suzenyms.blogspot.ca
- Imaginarium 2013: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing edited by Sandra Kasturi and
- Samantha Beiko, ChiZine Publications
- Erik Mohr, cover art for ChiZine Publications
- Melissa Mary Duncan, illustrations and cover art
- Dan O’Driscoll, covers for Bundoran Press and the SF Aurora banner
- Apis Teicher, body of work
- Tanya Montini, cover design for The Ehrich Weisz Chronicles: Demon Gate
Best Fan Publications
- No award will be given out in this category in 2014 due to insufficient eligible nominees
Best Fan Music
- Brooke Abbey for writing and publishing 12 songs
- Debs & Errol for CTRL+ALT+DUETS, EP
- Chris Hadfield for his performance of Space Oddity
- Kari Maaren for Beowulf Pulled My Arm Off, CD
- Devin Melanson, Leslie Hudson and, Kari Maaren for Pirate Elves in Space, CD
Best Fan Organizational
- Evelyn Baker and Alana Otis-Wood, co-chairs Ad Astra, Toronto
- S.M. Beiko and Chadwick Ginther, co-chairs Chiaroscuro Reading Series, ChiSeries Winnipeg
- Sandra Kasturi and James Bambury, co-chairs Chiaroscuro Reading Series, ChiSeries Toronto
- Randy McCharles, chair When Words Collide, Calgary
- Matt Moore, chair Ottawa Chiaroscuro Reading Series, ChiSeries Ottawa
- Rose Wilson, Art Show Director, VCON 38, Vancouver
Best Fan Related Work
- R. Graeme Cameron, weekly column in Amazing Stories Magazine
- Steve Fahnestalk, weekly column in Amazing Stories Magazine
- Robert Runté, ”Why I Read Canadian Speculative Fiction: The Social Dimension of Reading”, Scholar Keynote Address at ACCSFF ’13, Toronto
* CSFFA is a federally registered non-profit society that is open to all Canadian citizens and landed immigrants.